Many people can’t simply decide that they want to go on a tropical vacation and then go. This is especially the case with a Galapagos vacation. When it comes down to it, the Galapagos can be difficult to get to and it will take multiple methods of travel. Moreover, you have to think about airfare, cab fare and lodging, which can be quite expensive in some regions. However, there are some secrets you should know about traveling to the Galapagos Islands. If you get creative and resourceful, there are actually many ways that you can travel to this part of the world on a smaller budget than you would think. However, you have to be willing to get adventurous. Here is how to plan a Galapagos Islands vacation on a budget.
- Make sure to go during the off-peak travel times – the Galapagos can be quite busy during most times of the year. However, if you head there at the end of the winter or during the colder months, you will be able to save a bundle. Plus, you’ll have a more authentic experience, since you won’t have to deal with all the swarming tourists.
- Make sure that you are willing to rough it – if you stay in a major hotel, you will wind up spending a fortune. If you stay in a hostel, however, you will be able to save a tremendous amount of money. It may seem scary at first, but you wouldn’t be out there if you didn’t have a sense of adventure. Moreover, it’s one of the easiest ways to pick up lots of tips on secret locations and local hangouts.
- Make sure to go with a tour company – if you are going by yourself, it will be hard to come by discounts. If you head to the Galapagos Islands with a tour company like Nature Galapagos & Ecuador, you will be able to save money left and right. Plus, you’ll learn so much more about your surroundings, which always makes everything more fun. Can you imagine visiting Washington D.C. and going home not knowing who Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, or even George Washington are? Every place you visit is rich with fascinating history and it is such a shame to go home having missed out on all of it.
- Make sure that you keep a budget – one of the best ways to spend too much money on the Galapagos is to not keep a budget. Ideally, you want to stay within this fiscal range throughout your trip. You want to do some research on the different kinds of recreational activity there is available and how much it all costs. Determine the average price of a meal and calculate your daily budget. That way, you will have a decent gauge of your cash flow each day.
- Make sure that you go with someone else – if you go on your own, you will be forced to pony up all the cash for the trip yourself. If you go with someone else, you can save a lot of money by splitting things like cab fare and food.